Thursday, 10 October 2013

The Future of Textiles

Today our adventure takes us to the Textile Futures Research Centre (the website, obviously) http://www.tfrc.org.uk
The Textile Futures Research Centre is a collective of designers and researcher who want work towards using textiles to enable a more sustainable future for generations to come. These researchers and designs are based in London (University of the Arts London and Central St Martins and Chelsea) they explore the possibilities and potential of materials and textiles through three tangents: science and technology, sustainable strategy and well-being and social innovation.

Minimize. A word we use a lot.I personally try to minimize clothes to make them all fit in the tiny entity that is my student accommodation wardrobe (only got my Lolita in there, my 'real clothes' are in a box!!). The volume and mass of clothes are minimized a lot. To get a bigger load in the laundry to save money (guilty) or some you can get more in that tiny hand luggage when going away. But how about minimizing the waste of textiles when making these clothes you end up minimizing?

Design to Minimise Waste on Textile Toolbox looks at the problem of textiles waste.
So as consumers we are wasteful. Out of fashion? Time to toss it aside (or maybe store away in case it comes back into fashion). I personally don't like to waste because money is hard to come by and I try not to buy things I don't need. 
My shopping mantra: 'Will I cry if I can't have this in my life?' if no, I don't buy it.

Now to pre-consumer waste. 15% of material is wasted during pattern cutting. 
David Telfer  shows and example of 'zero-waste fashion design'. This really cleverly integrates pattern cutting so no fabric is wasted when making the garment.

Zero-waste garments by David Telfer, 2010. Photograph by Thomas McQuillan, courtesy of David Telfer
Zero-waste garments by David Telfer, 2010. Photograph by Thomas McQuillan, courtesy of David Telfer.

I love this idea and it's something I would love to try to work with when sewing my own garments (I would love to say that Ink on Sakura produces zero-waste!)
Looking at the pattern I feel it has an Origami feel and works in the way Origami does - creating something from a single piece leaving no waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment